Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Waiting on God

Recently I've been studying in the Psalms how often the Psalmist writes about waiting on God...and if you've never realized, it's a lot. God is showing me that it is to be the Christan's state of mind and way of life. And although at times it can be very hard, I've been realizing in the past month that waiting on God keeps me in a place of three things; a continual state of dying to self, constantly seeing my dependence upon Christ, and it reminds me who I am and who our God is. Here are 2 excerpts from 'Waiting on God' by Andrew Murray. " 'Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him. Those that wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the land.' Psalm 37:7, 9 Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him." Yes, for HIM. Seek not only the help, the gift, thou needest seek: HIMSELF; wait for HIM. Give God His glory by resting in Him. by trusting Him fully, by waiting patiently for Him. This patience honors Him greatly; it leaves Him, as God on the throne, to do His work; it yields self wholly into His hands. It lets God be God. If thy waiting be for some special request, wait patiently. If thy waiting be more the exercise of the spiritual life seeking to know and have more of God, wait patiently. Whether it be in the shorter specific periods of waiting, or as the continuous habit of the souls. Rest in the Lord, be still before the Lord, and wait patiently. 'They that wait on the Lord shall inherit the land.' What a blessed life the life of waiting becomes, the continual worship of faith, adoring and trusting His goodness. As the soul learns it's secret, every act or exercise of waiting becomes just a quiet entering into the goodness of God, to let it do it's blessed work and satisfy our every need. And, every experience of God's goodness gives new attractiveness to the work of waiting. Instead of only taking refuge in time of need, there comes a great longing to wait continually and all day. And, however duties and engagements occupy the time and mind, the soul gets more familiar with the secret art of always waiting. Waiting becomes the habit and disposition, the very second nature and breath of the soul."
"Wait (qavah) on the Lord;
be of good courage (chazaq)
and He shall strengthen (amats) thine heart:
wait, I say, on the Lord."
-Psalm 27: 14

6 comments:

  1. Really good Camille! For some reason I feel like I needed to hear that. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Kayla. I praise God for that. Hey by the way, I am unable to view your blog for some reason. It says I need to be invited to view it...do you know anything about that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't find anywhere to translate the greek words directly! Help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britt,
    Click on this link http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?Criteria=good+courage&t=KJV&sf=5
    and scroll down to Psalm 27:14. You will see the Strong's number and then just click on whichever word you want. If you still have trouble let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camille, thank you for that lovely comment! :-) It's been far too long since we've talked. :( I pray that you are well and my prayers are for your family, especially your sister. I heard that you were visiting Ellerslie this month. :) What a blessing! I'm certainly missing home. hehe! Post pictures on here, if you can.
    Life has been quite full and non-stop busy since I've returned to AZ. I only just recently, in the past several weeks, started making contact with some of the Ellerslie girls again. We shall have to have one long phone call someday soon, maybe after your return from Ellerslie. I would love to hear about the Lord's mighty workings in your heart, life, and those around you.
    May His grace and power be with you this week.
    Much Love,
    Erika

    This God—his way is perfect;
    the word of the LORD proves true;
    he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.
    For who is God, but the LORD?
    And who is a rock, except our God?—
    the God who equipped me with strength
    and made my way blameless.
    ~ Psalm 18:30-32

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, Camille! This is something my heart needs to be reminded of often.

    I'm looking forward to seeing you soon!!

    ReplyDelete